Let’s start with improvements:
- On-demand conversion: Sometimes you want the input to be transformed right then. Now, you can press the down arrow key to see the output instantly (and, the cursor remains in the input box).
- Sometimes you may (when the cursor in the output box) want to go to the input box using the keyboard. Now, you can! Use the up arrow key.
- About page: Now you can read what?, why?, and how? of Lekhini and opinions of other people about Lekhini in the about page.
- Some additions and minor re-arrangements of elements. Now Lekhini’s page layout should swiflty adjust itself even on wide screen displays. You can send me screenshots if you have really wide monitor with high screen resolutions (> 1500 pixels wide). So, I can see any problems.
- Didn’t you see that the help page is still empty?
- A downloadable package that works offline. Right now, you can save it as "Webpage, complete" to use it offline.
- On-the-fly conversion (I'm not really sure I'll do it.)
What can YOU do?
- Tell your friends about Lekhini: http://veeven.org/lekhini/
- Contribute to and spread Telugu Wikipedia.
- Get and use Firefox.
- Be happy! :-)
What do people say?
There were mentions about Lekhini on some online forums. Some nice people blogged about it. Some other nice people expressed their views on Lekhini (either in blog comments or to google groups). Still nicier people told all their friends about Lekhini. The niciest have been silently enjoying using Lekhini.
On all major search engines (except Google), my Lekhini makes it to the top 5 for the search word "lekhini". Google doesn’t seem to have crawled Lekhini pages yet.
It gives me a very satisfactory feeling that I did Lekhini. :-) Thanks for all your support.
(I’m an English fanatic. Otherwise, I would have written this post in Telugu.)
లేఖిని యొక్క కొత్త వెర్షన్ రెడీ!
- కొత్తరూపం, మరింత ఆహ్లాదకరం, తాజా అనుభూతికై
- తెలుగు లిపికి వెనువెంటనే కన్వర్షన్ (Well, it’s not truly on-the-fly. But on-the-jump. That is, the text is transformed as you enter each word. Space, fullstop, and newline also trigger the conversion.)
- మరింత సరళం (Usability Improvements మీ సందేశం టైప్ చేసి టాబ్ నొక్కండి చాలు. క్రింది పెట్టెలోని సందేశం అంతా సెలెక్ట్ చేసుకోబడుతుంది. కాపీ చేసి మీ బ్లాగులోనో, మెయిల్లోనో, మరో విండోలోనో పేస్టు చెయ్యడమే తరువాయి.)
- మరింత వేగం (శుద్ధమైన కోడ్, ప్రామాణికమైన డిజైన్)
ఇప్పుడే ట్రై చెయ్యండి. మీ సలహాలు, సూచనలు నాకు వ్రాయండి.
I am very thankful to Kishan for letting me use his computer (whenever I want) and for his great support for whatever I do. We may have different views on whether the intro box on the right side above the character chart should exist at all. But, that’s a different issue! :-)
Users say that. Excerpt from Gtalk with Swathi (posted with permission):
What is Lekhini?
I am very pleased to announce the launch of Lekhini (లేఖిని), a simple online Telugu script generator. It transforms your input (in RTS) into Unicode. The script generated in Lekhini can be used in the following places:
- web pages & blogs
- instant messaging
- and wherever there is Unicode support
Lekhini is based on Padma (పద్మ), another text transformer that works for most of the South Indian languages and supports more input and output formats. While all the hardwork is of the Padma developers, I just tweaked it to make it simple and easy for users.
Lekhini‘s objective is to be a simple Telugu script generator. In the process of buiding it, I cleaned up some of the things in Padma that are not always required or that are a bit overwhelming to novice users.
The following are the advantages of my simplification:
- No need to scroll down in search of a text box to type in (The input box is right on top. Just type in after the page load.)
- You do not see options and settings that you never use (You will see just what you need.)
- The 3-window operation (type in one, copy in another, and paste in yet another) has been reduced to 2-window operation. (type and copy in one, and paste in another).
- An RTS Translitelation Chart beside your typing area—easy reference (to know what to type to get what).
- No more Yahoo ads :-)
Go, play with it. If you find it useful, recommend it to your friends. Your feedback is welcome (veeven at gmail dot com).
Update 2006-03-19: Lekhini has improved.